Eureka, I have found it!


Spaniards were the first to dub the lands on the western side of the North American continent California. Supposedly, the name came from the popular 1510 fictional story of Queen Calafia's queendom said to be a remote land rich in gold and pearls, inhabited by beautiful black women who wore gold armor and lived like Amazons, as well as griffins and other strange beasts. Zoom forward 440 years, past 1804 when Alta California became part of New Spain, and then Mexico in 1821, the discovery of gold at Sutter’s Mill in 1848 and California became the 31st state in 1850. California has long captured the hopes and dreams of many over the centuries. However, my personal journey to California was somewhat less direct.


Me and my older brother in our Shasta Trailer

Sometime in the late 1950’s when I was 3 or 4 years old, we did a family driving trip with our Shasta trailer from Monahans, Texas, to California. I don’t remember much about the trip except Yosemite, with giant sequoias, a deer and even a brown bear. I wouldn’t return to California until 1979 when at a job fair in Houston that summer I was offered an interview at a company based in San Jose. Until that point, I never even considered as a possibility living and working in California. What little I knew about California came from music, movies, TV and the news. To me there were many different California’s that didn’t quite seem to fit together. There were the dream factories of Hollywood in the 1930 and 1940s. The 50’s and 60’s Alfred Hitchcock sci-fi thrillers Psycho, Vertigo, and The Birds which somehow tied in with TV shows like the Twilight Zone, The Beverly Hillbillies and of course, The Wonderful World of Disney. By the late 60s, California seemed to dominate the news with Vietnam protests, hippies, and a lot more music. And by the late 1970s there was gay liberation, the drought, smog, Johnny Carson, Jerry Brown (Governor Moonbeam), and the Moscone and Harvey Milk shooting.

When arriving in California for my interview, I had goosebumps leaving the San Jose airport and entering Highway 101 where there were two big signs - “San Francisco” and  “Los Angeles”.  I thought this might be the place for me. If that weren’t enough, there were redwoods growing along the freeway.  The interview was followed by a job offer and I started to seriously consider moving to California. I bought a map of California and found myself pouring over all the national forests, parks, mountains, deserts. beaches and lakes and dreaming of car trips and hiking.

And so, at age 25 I packed up my few belongings and moved to Santa Clara where I would live the next very fast paced 4 years.


My First Day living in California visiting
the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum in San Jose.
I also learned about their large palm collection
and visited the nearby San Jose Rose Garden


1980, the balcony of my first apartment in Santa Clara.
The balcony fell off from the weight of all the plants

Early 80s photo at Calma Engineering Design Station for the product brochure

Clowning around at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco

1980s visit to Yosemite, 25 years after the first

Me, friend Ted and giant sequoia in Yosemite

Another visit to Yosemite a few years later with Vernal Fall in the early 80s

2015 - 60th birthday visit to Vernal Fall at Yosemite

Early 80s on the white sand beach in Carmel

Every weekend, I set out to see as much of California as possible.

My first out of town guests at Muir Woods with
High School and college friends Joanne and Brent

My little bit of vacation time was used with visiting guests that I would show around the Bay Area. On the Fourth of July and Labor Day weekends, I’d make the long drive to Southern California, usually to Laguna Beach, but stopping at Central California towns along the way. I assumed I would likely live the rest of my life in the Bay Area, but like so many others, the pace of working Silicon Valley and cost of homes led me to San Diego in 1983 where I bought a house in Encinitas.  I only planned to live there a few years, but ended up staying until 1998.

Mid-1980s the front garden of my house in Encinitas

Early 1990's - my companion cat 'Kitty' in the backyard

In 1988 I went with a friend to a local bike shop to help a him buy a bike.  I ended up buying a used Cannondale Bike and picked up cycling as a hobby. I've been a frequent cyclist ever since. In 1990 I did a 10 day bike ride from San Francisco to Encinitas.


1992- on a bike tour near the San Andreas fault in Olema

California has always been an adventure to me. Even though I’ve lived here 40 years, I continually learn something new about this unique state. Having traveled to many other places in the U.S. and the world, I can say in terms of climate, scenery, plants, and culture, there are none more varied and diverse than the Golden State.

1995 - Birthday trip to June Lakes in the eastern Sierra

So, in 2020 and my 65th year around the sun begins a yearlong adventure. I plan to spend the year visiting iconic locations of the state. Many I’ve visited before, but also many are new ones. I plan to visit as many as possible of the 36 National Parks, Monuments, Preserves, Seashores, and Recreation areas in the state. Along the way, I’ll visit our large cities and small towns, as well as many of our wonderful state parks. I’ll spend some time in the Bay Area, far Northern California, our deserts and the Sierras. And of course, I’ll visit as many gardens and wildflower spots as possible. I’ll post photos regularly on Facebook and write blog posts whenever possible. Stay tuned, the adventure begins with a visit to the Los Angeles metropolitan area in early January.

Other places I hope to revisit in 2020

1980 - Hiking on Mt. Tamalpais 

Hiking Pinnacles National Monument (now National Park) in the early 80s

Redwood walk in Henry W. Coe State Park

Sitting in a Melaleuca on the coast walk in Laguna Beach
(Weird side fact: Saw O.J. and Nicole Simpson at nearby
 Las Brisas Restaurant shortly before the infamous murder.) 

Late 1980s - Me and my brother Bob in Catalina 

1994 - Ray, Jan and me hiking to Lily Rock in Idlewild


1995 - Me and Kathy just before mountain bike riding down Kamikaze trail in Mammoth 

1995 - Mom and me at the Paseo in Santa Barbara

2004 - Lake Tahoe

2005 - Joshua Tree National Park 

2009 - Laguna Beach

2010 - McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial State Park 

2010 - Castle Crags State Park 

2010 - One of my favorite San Diego hiking spots, Iron Mountain

2010 - windy Mendocino 

2012 - Susi and me at the Wave Garden in Richmond

2012 - Scott and me at the Ruth Bancroft Garden

2015 - One of my favorite places, Point Lobos State park

This doesn't seem to need a description

As our redundant state motto says: Eureka, I have found it.

Comments

  1. On the trip to California with the trailer (1960s), we stopped in Las Vegas where it was over 100 degrees. The green Chevy was overheating and the service attendant loosened the the radiator cap and got severely scalded.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment